Monday, July 19, 2010

Rainbow

By Dre


Sweet tooth anyone? This is my version of a candy shop. Rainbow is a Fantastic Co-Op Grocery Store with a phenomenal bulk food selection. In my opinion, it’s a staple of mindful San Franciscans who think as much about pleasing their palate as they do about maintaining an “Eco-friendly” environment. The dried fruit selection is nothing short of amazing, ranging from delicious dried bananas to the best white figs I have ever sampled- and I do love me some samples. They are a great “on the go” snack or sweet treat; without all the preservatives, added sugar or words you can hardly pronounce, dried fruit maintain max antioxidants and nutrients, all the while enrapturing your mouth in “deliciousness.”


Today’s Mission: Save the world one organic product at a time. Upon collecting ingredients for my latest “raw food” venture, I observed a small sign tactfully placed under the plastic produce bags I was reaching for to fill up with more goods: “Plastic bags and packaging account for a major part of our waste in landfills.” At this point I could no longer bear to contribute to the waste of a product said to take up to 1,000 years to decompose?! Luckily enough there is a solution: Compostable/Reusable Bags! Definitely worth the 10 cents.





Organic flowers. Yet another of Rainbow’s many treasures is their assortment of gorgeous flowers, plants and herbs.


Spices Galore. One of my favorite isles in Rainbow is home to jars upon jars of spices and herbs. The best part of these amazing powders and loose leaves are their versatile uses. As a self-proclaimed “nutritionista,” I’m always on the hunt for researching holistic or natural remedies. Many spices and herbs have been used for thousands of years for medicinal purposes while incorporating them into every day diet. Turmeric, for example, has been used in cooking as a spice for over 2,500 years and is also well-recognized as the best anti-oxidant, hypoglycemic, colorant, antiseptic and wound healer. (Read more about turmeric benefits at http://www.medindia.net/alternativemedicine/turmeric.asp#ixzz0sbiPJmLw)


Fresh organic locally grown produce. Supporting a local “Green” business is the way to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment